CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 21, 2010

Snuggles with mama


So finally today I got to hold my boy. In the NICU they encourage something called "kangaroo care". They have recliners that they squeeze between the incubators and they put the babies skin to skin on mama's chest. This can help baby to have a steadier, regular heartbeat; have easier and more relaxed breathing; sleep better and be alert and calm with he is awake. Benjamin did great. He just had oxygen on through nasal prongs. He snuggled up and slept to well. He smelled so good. His vitals stayed perfect and he even opened his eyes a few times and looked at me. It was so sweet. It was so hard to put him back...he started to cry when the nurse took him off me. It broke my heart.
He got his last dose of meds for his heart murmur so hopefully tomorrow we'll know the results from that. The nurse also said that preliminary looks at his head ultrasound looked to be negative for any brain bleeds. We're still waiting for the final report from the radiologist. The only issue right now is that he is not tolerating my milk...this could be because the medication from his heart murmur treatment is upsetting for his little tummy and throwing everything off. So tomorrow they will try again. Pray that he can tolerate it and start growing. Its one day at a time. I'll post of pic of me holding him. I had to take it myself..I was at the hospital alone, but I needed to take a pic of such a special moment.

5 comments:

Delia said...

Beautiful picture Shannon, amazing moment! -Delia-

ordinary girl said...

Oh Shannon I got goose bumps from that! I can only imagine what you were feeling!!! Glad to hear he is doing so well! He's amazing!

Flamingo Girl said...

I'm in love with this picture! Just thought you should know that Laura has really taken an interest in "baby Benjamin" and asks to see his blog every day. She also (by herself) includes him in her prayers every night!

OrangeHeroMama said...

awww..yay for kangaroo care...it really does help! :)

Unknown said...

I remember hearing about this approach years ago when I was in college. Glad to hear it's still around because it just makes sense. We're praying and loving your posts. Thanks for sharing, Shannon.

Post a Comment